Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To the man that taught me how to be like Christ....


Dear Grandpa Jake,
Thank you for being a light in my world. Thank you for showing me how to love unconditionally, how to treat others with kindness, and never judge. Thank you for being a perfect example of what it means to be humble and Christlike. Thank you for loving me regardless of all my shortcomings. Thank you for raising my dad in the church and teaching him to be an amazing father just like you are. Thank you for always being there and for always staying happy. You were an example to me of everything I want to be. I love you more than words could ever express. Thank you for being the BEST grandfather a girl could ever have.
Miss you everyday!
Love with all my heart,
Em

I didn't think I could write this post, and even now sitting here typing it up I can't stop the tears from coming. I lost a man that is very dear to my heart this week and I have never experienced these emotions before. Of course just as Harry Potter said, "the ones we love never really leave us." I know that he will always be with me, it is hard to stop the selfish thoughts.
I am so HAPPY that he is with his friends and family right now, and most importantly the love of his life. I couldn't ask for more peace than that which comes with that knowledge. I am also very thankful for my wonderful amazing family that love and care about me. It has been an incredible opportunity to spend time with them and I hope we will do more of that.
I love my grandpa and am so glad I got to spend as much time with him as I did. He has been the greatest blessing in my life.


Here is his obituary.....
“Jake the Snake”


Our beloved Dad and Grandpa passed away peacefully on January 17, 2011, after suffering another major stroke. We know he is enjoying a beautiful reunion with our Mom and Grandma and is now free from the frustrating numbness on his right side.



Jake was born October 26, 1922 in Moroni, Utah to Earl Howarth and Serena Valdine Knapp Ostler. He was raised and attended school in Moroni where he played basketball and was the Senior Class President. He married his life-long sweetheart Alligee Elizabeth “Beth” Anderson on December 11, 1942 in the Manti Temple. Mom and Dad shared over 51 years of marriage before she passed away from cancer in 1994. Always an example of a worthy husband and father, Dad cared tenderly for mom during her illness and final years of life.

 
Jake served his country in World War II and later retired from the Army National Guard after over 30 years of combined service. He worked for 22 years in Granite School District schools before retiring in 1984.

 
Jake was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving in many callings. After retiring, he and Beth served a mission to the Atlanta Georgia Temple where he was privileged to serve as a Sealer. Once home, he continued his temple service as an ordinance worker at the Jordan River temple for over 20 years. He possessed many Christ-like attributes and was kind to all he met.


Jake remained positive and happy even after suffering his first major stroke in 1998. He worked very hard to regain lost skills and was always trying to exercise the numbness out of his right side. His personality and charm made him a favorite wherever he went.


He is survived by his children: Virginia (Wally) Hendrickson – Taylorsville, Andy (Debby) – Midvale, Marvalyn Fronce – South Jordan, Gordon (Jill) - Salt Lake, Ron (Kaye) – Sandy, and a sister: Valdine Guptill – Oregon City, Oregon. 21 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren.



Funeral services will be held at the River 3rd Ward, located at 10400 S. 1540 W. in South Jordan on Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM. Friends may call on Friday, January 21, 2011 at the Memorial Mortuary on 5850 S. 900 E. from 6 – 8 PM, or at the chapel one hour prior to the services. Interment at the Moroni City Cemetery.



The family expresses sincere appreciation to the staff of IMC and Intermountain Hospice who provided great care to Jake and his family.





No comments:

Post a Comment